Friday, July 25, 2008

Favorite Food

Rumor has it that at one time Lafayette, IN had the most restaurants along one stretch of road in the U.S. While this sounds interesting, I am not sure of its origins. I was told by some people who grew up here. They may be biased.

With this thought in mind, I decided that I would list the restaurant that prepared certain types of food the best in my opinion.

Hamburger - I am a Deckard. I remember my dad telling me a story that his dad told him about the first time granda had a hamburger. There are certain things in life that make such an impact on someones they have to be passed down through the generations. With this said, I share the same passion for beef that my grandfather shared. By far the best burger in town goes to......Chili's BBq Ranch Burger. The bacon on this slab of meat is itself about 1/4 inch thick. I want one right now.

Steak - Remember, these are just my opinion. Once again though we are in a catagory of beef. I share my love of medium rare steaks with no-one in my family. They all want it cooked beyond taste. While i love the taste of steak I am also a fan of seasoning. One steak that I have grown to love is the O'Charley's Louisiana Sirloin. 12 oz. of steak pleasure. To that you add a baked potato (butter & sour cream) and you are ready for an out-of-this-world experience.

Chinese - I am close to a split decision on this decision so I will break it down into 2 separate catagories. Buffet and Order in. The best place in Lafayette to get chinese food buffet style is Super China Buffet. They have a great variety of food. It has never been cold and always seems fresh. An added bonus to this restaurant is their carry out. It is fantasticly better than eating there. The best place to sit down and order chinese is Hunan House. The portions are huge which makes me happy. However there is a black mark against this restaurant. I am not allowed to eat there any more per my wifes insistance. They once took 2 hours to deliver food to us at work. Kimber proceeded to tell them they lost our business and she meant it. You should eat there...it is amazing.

Mexican - It is extremely hard for me to like a mexican restaurant more that Casa Brava in Bedford. I still stand firm on that. As David Crowder says, "There is no one like you." I love my Casa Brava! However, I must still make a decision for Lafayette's best mexican restaurant. That honor goes to.......PePe's. They are by far the most culturally authentic restaurant here. Don Pablo's is second, but it doesn't compare.

Italian - I have not really found a better place for Penne w/ broccoli and chicken than Spageddies. It is a chain restaurant, but it is delicious. They snag your heart from the start with their fresh baked bread and olive oil dipping sauce. I am in love with that place.

And interestingly enough I saved my favorite restaurant in Lafayette for last. The best restaurant here is ....... South Street Smokehouse. I can not say much for cleanliness or kindliness of staff, or even table availability, but the food is the best in the land. It is so good that it may take the #1 spot to eat anywhere in Indiana. It's that good. Try it!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Awesome! I concur wholeheartedly about South Street Smokehouse... Who knew the best BBQ was in Lafayette, Indiana? :-)

Lisa said...

Oh, Keith-we have to introduce you to TC's-that is the best steak. You can cut them with a fork. Although it is technically not in Lafayette, but Battle Ground.

Lin's Wok is great for Chinese-also not in Lafayette, but WEst Lafayette.

Keith said...

I love steak and chinese you will have to introduce me!

Lisa said...

Keith - buddy, have you ever had real mexican food? Pepe's, really? Try going outside the chains man, Little Mexico II beats Pepe's everyday and twice on Sunday. Just like the Colts beat the Bears but only once because they only play once.

Also, my wife is correct about TC's, again try life outside the chains.

See you in a couple of hours.