Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Youth Workers

I know that I do not have a huge following on my blog, but there are a few. I have been thinking about something recently that I would like some of your opinions on.

I have been here in Lafayette about 3 years. I have been doing youth ministry for about 2 years (in March.) We as churches always claim that we are all "on the same team" just trying to help people form a closer relationship with Christ. If this is true, and we are truly all pulling for the same thing, then why do I not know any other youth workers in the area? Why can I not name the youth workers at the 2 churches that are within 2 miles of our church. I want to be sure that it is known that I am not blaming others for this lack of connection. I am just thinking through this. Here are the questions that I have.

How would a local partnership between area youth workers benefit them?

In what ways could this be used to bring area youth workers closer together?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be a huge benefit, for several reasons:

1. It would provide a resource for ideas.

2. It would provide a group of others who understand and are dealing with the relevant issues of youth ministry, so you could share your struggles together.

3. If nothing else, the prayer support would be of great use.

4. It could be a springboard for city-wide multi-church events that can have a bigger impact than anything a single church could do on its own.

So let me throw a question back at you:

How are you going to help create such a partnership?

E said...

How would a local partnership NOT be beneficial? The more resources the better. Youth workers can share experiences, encourage each other spiritually, maybe even attend events together and share supervision duties and group discounts. :)

There used to be a group of pastors of the 'holiness churches' that did things together years ago. I think that was senior pastors, though - nothing youth-specific.

Great idea - get goin' on that! :)