Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's Really a Bathroom Break

Ok, I know that this may get me in trouble but I am going to say it anyways. I have been extremely dissapointed with the recent trend at the Superbowl halftime shows. In the past 5 years there has been nothing but "old fart" male performers. First off, I want you to realize that I just called; Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band old farts. I called them that because they are. I understand that at one time they were all very relevant and very entertaining.
The obvious reason for this testosterone party is the exposure that JJ received 6 years ago at the expense of JT. I totally agree that what happened on stage was inappropriate, but was it bad enough to torture all viewers under the age of 40?
Look at the list of performers the 5 years previous to the malfunction.

1999 - Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Savion Glover

2000 - Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton, 80-person choir, Edward James Olmos

2001 - Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly

2002 - U2 (Tribute to 9/11 victims)

2003 - Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting

Notice every year besides 2002 contained at least one female. 4/5 pre-pasty, 0/5 post-pasty. Even more importantly they contained artists that were relevant to the time. I feel like instead of making the halftime show entertaining they have turned it into History 101.

I am making a concious decision to stop going on about this.

Here are my two questions.

1) If you could go back and watch any halftime show live from a seat on stage, who would it be?

2) Who would be a couple of people that you would like to see do the halftime show next year?

Water

5 comments:

Fool of God said...

Three Words - Billy freaking Joel!

Would be the greatest Super Bowl Halftime ever...EVER.

Heather said...

I totally agree that women should not be ban from the half time show forever because of one little malfunction.

As far as who I would have liked to see perform, has to be Aerosmith in 2001. Who doesn't love them?

Now, who I would like to see in the future is really hard. In terms of putting on a really good show, maybe one of the country guys like Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley. In terms of my tastse in music I would love to see Toby Mac, Skillet and Kid Rock. Try to figure that one out!

Keith said...

I think I could actually see Toby Mac and Kid Rock ..... though I'm not convinced that T-Mac is big enough.

As far as country.... I am not sure that I would watch a Chicago Bears Superbowl if there was a country themed halftime show. Yeah, I hate it that much.

Andy Lauer said...

First, I've watched more halftimes than football many years, just to see the bands.

Second, what do you have against old people? Ditka's old! So's the Fridge.

Third, Tom Petty and U2 happen to be two of the greatest bands of all time. It's heresy to say otherwise.

Fourth, I agree with you one hundred percent--NO Country! Unless it's old time country--Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, etc. Of course they're dead, but still. And maybe Keith Urban because he can play guitar like you play C.O.D.

Finally, I'd like to see Coldplay at the half.

Kevin said...

I'd go back to see Janet Jackson. HA...just kidding. Probably Prince.

I'd like to see Dave Matthews Band do a halftime show...problem with that is the game would never resume. Coldplay would be good also.