Friday, April 23, 2010

My Mind is Blown

So the Jr. High are getting ready to go on a retreat this afternoon. And, in typical fashion, the license plates are expired on the church bus. This is my experience of trying to get my license plates. Exciting, huh?

So I go to the BMV, they were pretty empty and that was awesome. I walked right in and sat down and the lady starts helping me. I let her know that I was there from my church and I was trying to renew the plates. She gives me my total I pay her with cash. She uses her little marker to make sure the money I gave her wasn't fake. I have no problem with that. I joked with her and said that would be bad if I were paying with counter fit money. She laughs and says yeah, "you come to renew the churches plates and pay with fake money, that would be bad."

She was trying to figure out if I needed stickers or new plates. It was taking some time and she had to wait on some one to help her. So she tried to strike up a conversation. She decided that we knew each other well enough and presumably because I went to a church that I would agree with her, but here is what she says.

"I think that Obama is the anti-christ."

I must admit that I am very rarely speechless. It happened.

I am not here to discuss politics, but rather religion.

She thought that because I went to church, that it was ok to label people as being the single most evil person to ever walk the earth. When did the Church become a body that was so accepting of criticizing people that you could start a conversation with "Obama is the anti-christ."

I was blown away. I hope that I do not put off the vibe of "Lets find someone to criticize."

God, help you church to be a church of love not of hate.

No comments: