Friday, August 21, 2009

Like, really?!?!?!?!?!?

Recently I have become annoyed. When something "rubs me wrong" I usually make a big deal out of it. Here we go...

We are a culture that likes the "trendy" and "fashionable." Yet, I think that we are selling ourselves short in one area, our language. We tend to use the same phrases for years. It actually makes me tired to try and think of all the phrases that I use on a daily basis. I think it would be a lot more modern if, instead of using overused words, we came up with our own words to exclaim at certain points in conversation.

I am going to show a few lists that people have come up of words that are overused....

Askmen.com
10. "Love/Hate" - Totally agree with this one. I love and hate everything.

9. "Literally" - I use this word all the time....literally.

8. "Ridiculous" - The onlytime this word is acceptable is when radio announcer for the Bears says it. "Devin Hester, you are ri-diculous."

7. "Awesome" - Kind of like "love/hate" for me... I use it A LOT.

6. "Whatever" - I don't use this one. So, whatever.

5. "_ _ _ _ _" - Female Dog. And now you all looked back and counted the letters just to make sure it was the right word...

4. "Seriously" -

3. "Gay" - Gay use to be "jovial or in good spirits." Now it doesn't mean that. It's way overused, seriously.

2. "Nice" - Not a big user of "nice," so it's ranked a little too high for me...

1. "Like" - I, like, say this word, like, alot. Like, you know what I, like, mean?


Here are some words that I would like to add to this list of annoying words. If you see a word you use a lot, chances are it wasn't you that annoyed me with it. But then again, maybe it, like, was.

"Sweet" - That is sooooooooo sweet, man.

"haha/lol/hehe" - I am so tired of laughing like this, but I don't know how to express my feelings in another way.

"shenanigans" - David Hatten is a walking shenanigan. <--- I wanted to use it in singular form.

"dude" - Everybody is a dude. I called my landlords secretary "dude" the other day. I immediately apologized. :)

"hot" - Everything is "hot." "Those sunglasses look so hot on you!" What?



Ok, I am so tired of thinking about this. What are some words that you hear that are way overused?






4 comments:

Emily said...

"I know, right!!" I hear this one a lot over here in the West... :-D But for some reason it always makes me think of you, Keith. Seriously.

Kevin said...

First - David Hatten IS a walking shenanigan!

Other words:
so
totally
definitely
amazing
uber


Yeah, that's all I got for now.

Andy Lauer said...

This probably just speaks to my vocation, but here are a few:

organic
DNA
postmodern
emergent
matrix
story

Dave said...

So I don't really know how I got thrown under the bus on this one but okay.

I agree on literally and ridiculous.

Cool-not as much as it was but still a lot
Whore Monger-only from Keith but its alot.

Genist-it was the captcha word I had to enter to leave this comment. Not even a word, captcha!